Take the free quiz https://simplenursing.com/nursing-school for DKA and HHS (HHNS), and what does the NCLEX expect RN and LPN nursing students to know for their board exams?
For NCLEX Cheat Sheets on everything endocrine &
Full Courses access on Medical Surgical nursing, complete with:
– 900 Videos NOT on youtube
– 300 cheat sheet notes
Click here to learn more: https://simplenursing.com/nursing-school
The pathophysiology of DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) is a condition of diabetes mellitus occurring more often in diabetics with type 1 diabetes, where the body breaks down fat for fuel due to the lack of insulin. Signs and symptoms of DKA include hyperglycemia greater than 300 blood serum glucose, ketosis and acidosis. As fat is broken down, ketone bodies are produced, which puts the body into an acidotic state, hence the name DKA, Diabetic ketoacidosis.
HHS or HHNS (hyperosmolar hyperglycemic nonketotic syndrome) occurs more often in diabetic patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Signs and symptoms of HHS presents with severe hyperglycemia typically over 600 blood serum glucose levels, extreme dehydration, neuro status changes (neurological alterations), and can lead to death or diabetic coma if not immediately treated with IV fluid like 0.9% normal saline.
In this simple nursing video Mike Linares, RN breaks down a complete NCLEX review of DKA, diabetic ketoacidosis and HHS or HHNS (hyperosmolar hyperglycemic nonketotic syndrome) useful for Kaplan proctor exams, HESI exit exam and ATI exit exams.
This 7 part video series on endocrine medical surgical adult health nursing is intended to help registered nurse RN students and LPN students with NCLEX memorization tricks. In this video series Michael Linares, RN from Simple Nursing helps explain the nursing pathophysiology, signs and symptoms, causes, pathology, treatment options for various diagnosis, which are expected to know for the NCLEX, HESI, ATI, and Kaplan proctor exams.
For more information on NCLEX endocrine medical surgical nursing topics like Cushings and Addison nursing treatments, diabetes mellitus and insulin onset, peak and duration memory tricks for NCLEX RN and LPN, click here: https://simplenursing.com/nursing-school
Frustrated with boring NCLEX programs “included” in your tuition? Check out the SimpleNursing NCLEX prep mobile app: https://simplenursing.com/free-trial/
– Over 2,000 NCLEX style questions
– Visual in-depth rationales
– 1,200 fun videos & 300 Cheat Sheets covering the most highly tested topics
– Test tips & Memory Tricks included
– 92% pass rate | learn how: https://simplenursing.com/free-trial/
Need help with other difficult nursing school topics?
Click below. We got you covered 🙂
– Fluid & Electrolytes https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3NAm8UHLUnLJSqeCM_EJHXZ685sb67bn
– Heart Failure (CHF) https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3NAm8UHLUnLEVzZvkdBX1IWHPg21Jobw
– Myocardial Infarction (MI) https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3NAm8UHLUnLLJQsAIsQaHJiOvcLN1cUe
– Addison’s vs. Cushing https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3NAm8UHLUnKT3JBkVTN-hXbyULbPgWz5
– Diabetes Mellitus & DKA vs HHNS https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3NAm8UHLUnKxNrh1HdilzIIH9WM8JrLq
– Cardiomyopathy https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3NAm8UHLUnIeh0g_moaGLzXWiOh3fqdi
– IV Fluids: Hypertonic, Hypotonic & Isotonic https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3NAm8UHLUnIdjUfgMcAE1JIq6Nx29JRX
– Hypertension https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zg95R8H1oo
– Hyperkalemia https://youtu.be/HdG8lqJzWi4
– SIADH vs Diabetes Insipidus https://youtu.be/hKFGGv0E-5A
Follow me on Social Media:
– Subscribe to our Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SimpleNursing
– Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SimpleNursing
– Like us on Facebook: https://facebook.com/SimpleNursing
Thanks for tuning in.
Don’t be scared, BE PREPARED!
#DKA #DKAvsHHS #Diabetes #Insulin